Sometimes simple is just better. I spend a lot of time in my own brain thinking about different recipes and ideas for food. It gets exhausting at times and in those times, I just need something simple, fresh, and delicious to cook and eat. Fettuccine with _____ fill in the blank with whatever and I’m usually in a happy place. This is one of my go-to recipes in those times.
An important note about this recipe that I need you to not skip! Make sure you reserve some of the pasta cooking water. It is starchy and perfect to bring the lemon butter sauce together.
- 1 lb. fettuccine, dried or fresh
- 3 C. broccoli florets
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 8 T. unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 C. Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- Salt to taste
- 1 C. reserved pasta cooking water
- In a large pot of salted boiling water- Cook the fettuccine. When just about done, scoop out 1 cup of the water and reserve.
- Add the broccoli to the pot and cook for an additional 3 minutes (you can cook the broccoli separately, but we are trying to make this easy, right?!)
- Drain the pasta and broccoli. Add the butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest to the pot. melt
- add the pasta and broccoli to the butter lemon mixture and toss to coat.
- Add the reserved pasta water until the consistency is creamy.
- Add the grated Parm and season to taste with Salt. Enjoy!